Updated: May 22, 2020
Sometimes you maybe running out of time, or might not be in a good health to spend long hours in the kitchen, or may not have a great appetite for a heavy dinner, then these kind of quick dinner meal options comes handy.
My family, however prefers light dinner's most of the days, so such recipes are always taking turns in my kitchen.
The recipe is very simple, with minimum ingredients, yet delicious to the core. All it needs is, arranging the bread slices, applying some sauce along with your choice of toppings(in my case, my 11 years old boy does this job😍) and bake it for 10 minutes. Thats it, your light dinner is ready .
Type: Evening snacks/ light dinner option
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time : 10 minutes
Any bread white/ brown/ multigrain- 12
Sandwich cheese - 6 slices
Cherry tomatoes- 250 gms approx
Green chutney - 1/2 cup or little more
Seasoning of your choice
Basil leaves (optional)
Salt - a little to sprinkle on the toast
Olive oil- 1/3 cup
Grind a handful of coriander leaves, half quantity of Pudina/mint, salt, chat powder or lemon to a chutney consistency, your green chutney is ready
1.Slice the cherry tomatoes in round shape and keep it ready, not too thin though.
2.Pre heat the oven 200c .
3.Arrange the bread slices on a baking tray.
4. Spread little olive oil on the bread, now top it with generous amount of Green chutney or as per your liking.
5.Tear the cheese slices into pieces and arrange on the bread piece , keeping some space in between. (You can keep 1 whole slice instead, if you like cheesy toast, i do this way to cut down the calories)
6.Arrange the sliced cherry tomatoes as much as you want, sprinkle little salt all over and with the choice of your seasoning. You can add finely chopped fresh Basil leaves too at this stage.
7.Bake it for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Care should be taken not to over bake, as you will end up having hard toast.
8. Serve warm as it is or can paired up with some Soups too.
1.I used fladen brot (a type of bread which is available locally to me) , you can use any bread of your choice.
2. The Green chutney is not mandatory, you can use Pesto sauce/ Tomato sauce or any other sauce of your liking .
3. Seasoning can be Pepper powder, chilli flakes, dried Rosemary or any other Italian spice mix.
4. Temperature varies from oven to oven, so keep an eye after 8 minutes to make sure not to over toast the bread.